Friday, June 29, 2018

Courageous Parenting

First and foremost, what does courageous parenting means to you?
Do you have whatever it takes to become a courageous parent?

This post may take you longer than five minutes out of your time to read this post.

This post is based on a October 2010 General Conference talk called, "Courageous Parenting" by Larry R. Lawrence. I would like to share with you some highlights that I liked while I was reading the talk. I hope you will learn something new and enjoy reading this post.

Brother Lawrence mentioned, "There are no perfect parents and no easy answers, but there are principles of truth that we can rely on. As we are reminded in the family proclamation, parents are responsible for the protection of their children. That means spiritually as well as physically.

Elder Robert D. Hales has observed, “Sometimes we are afraid of our children, afraid to counsel with them for fear of offending them.”

It’s so important for husbands and wives to be united when making parenting decisions. If either parent doesn’t feel good about something, then permission should not be granted.

I would like to share with you a letter from a heartbroken mother. Her teenage son gradually lost the Spirit and drifted away from Church activity. She explained how this happened: “All throughout my son’s teenage years, I worried and tried to stop him from playing violent video games. I talked to my husband and showed him articles in the Ensign and in the newspaper that cautioned about these games. But my husband felt it was OK. He said that our son wasn’t out using drugs and that I should stop worrying. There were times that I would hide the controllers, and my husband would give them back. It began to be easier for me to give in … than to fight it. I really feel that gaming is just as addictive as drugs. I would do anything to prevent other parents from going through this experience.”

What the world really needs is courageous parenting from mothers and fathers who are not afraid to speak up and take a stand.      
Brothers and sisters, if your spouse doesn’t feel good about something, show respect for those feelings. When you take the easy way out by saying and doing nothing, you may be enabling destructive behavior.

There is a great deal of wisdom displayed when parents stay up and wait for their children to return home. Young men and women make far better choices when they know their parents are waiting up to hear about their evening and to kiss them good night.

Peer pressure becomes more powerful when our children are away from our influence and when their defenses are weakened late at night. Always be prayerful when it comes to protecting your precious children.

One of the most effective ways we can influence our sons and daughters is to counsel with them in private interviews. By listening closely, we can discover the desires of their hearts, help them set righteous goals, and also share with them the spiritual impressions that we have received about them. Counseling requires courage.

Satan and his followers are striving to bring this generation down; the Lord is counting on valiant parents to bring them up. I know that God hears and will answer your prayers.
I testify that the Lord supports and blesses courageous parents."

I would like to apologize if this post is not what you think it would be about, this post seems to be more targeted to parents who has teenage children. I still hope you will learn something new as you were reading this post. If you would like to read the whole general conference talk in your own time, here is the link below.
www.lds.org/general-conference/2010/10/courageous-parenting

I look forward to posting sometime on Sunday, and I still have not done for my first Vlog post. I know that I really do need to work on getting out of my comfort zone and I do love Blogging so much better than Vlogging.

What is your opinion about blog posts? Which one do you prefer?
Do you like reading long posts or reading short posts?

Is there any particular question that you have and would like me to share the answer in a blog post? Is there any particular topic that you would like me to blog about?

That is all from me for now, and I hope you will have a great day/evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment