Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Faith, Hope, and Relationships

First and foremost, what does faith means to you and what does hope means to you?
This post would take you longer than five minutes out of your time to read this post.

This post is not about my understanding of faith and hope, neither it is not about my current relationship. I hope you will learn something new as you reading this post and I also hope that you will enjoy reading this post.

I would like to let you know that this post is based on an Ensign article called "Faith, Hope, and Relationships" by Elder Michael T. Ringwood from January 2013 and today, I would like to share with you some highlights as I was reading the article.
Desire, belief, and hope should prompt us to develop relationships that lead to marriage.  

Elder Ringwood mentions about his teenage son could have asked him,
"Didn’t you love her? This question should have been his first. My answer would have been yes; that is why I made the list. I really did love her, and I desired more than anything for her to be happy. The list was more about seeing if I could make her happy than it was about whether or not I loved her.

Didn’t you have fun together? Again, my answer would have been yes; that is why I made the list. It was a way to see if my hope that she would always have fun with me could become reality.

Didn’t you think she was the right one? Perhaps this is the most intriguing question of all. I would have answered yes; I did believe she was “the one,” but I wanted to make sure my belief would inspire action on my part to make things work.

Alma identified the need to have a particle of faith, which he described as desire. A desire for something to happen is a powerful influence for us to take the necessary steps to increase our faith.

A second particle of faith is what Alma taught comes from desire: belief. This combination of desire and belief begins to swell in our hearts, and we recognize it as good. Hope is another important particle of faith.

Alma told the humble Zoramites that faith was not a perfect knowledge of things. It was a "hope for things which are not seen, which are true." Hope can be described as the ability to see something better in the future.

No amount of desire, belief, or hope would have helped me find the greater happiness and peace I have found in marriage if those particles hadn’t led me to ask the big question. In such circumstances when things don’t go according to our plan or timing, faith still plays an integral role in our lives.

Faith is important in all we do, including dating and courting. Desire, belief, and hope that there is indeed greater happiness and peace waiting for us should incite us to action to develop relationships that lead to marriage.

Do you desire to follow the plan of happiness? Do you believe that following the plan will lead to greater happiness and peace? (Believe me when I tell you that following the plan and marrying in the temple does lead to greater happiness and peace.) Do you hope for a happy marriage? Does your hope allow you to see yourself in a better place in the future?

If your answers to these questions are yes, then you must complete your faith by taking action. Ask someone on a date! Accept an invitation to go on a date! Put yourself in situations that could lead to meeting other like-minded young adults. In short, pursue a course that will lead to greater happiness and peace.

One of Your Opportunities to Demonstrate Faith

President Thomas S. Monson said:

“There is a point at which it’s time to think seriously about marriage and to seek a companion with whom you want to spend eternity. If you choose wisely and if you are committed to the success of your marriage, there is nothing in this life which will bring you greater happiness.

“When you marry, … you will wish to marry in the house of the Lord. For you who hold the priesthood, there should be no other option. Be careful lest you destroy your eligibility to be so married. You can keep your courtship within proper bounds while still having a wonderful time.”

Your desire, belief, and hope may not be manifested in the form of a list, as they were for me, but however you demonstrate these qualities, they will help you complete your faith by following the Lord’s prophet to seek a companion with whom you can find greater happiness. Your desire, belief, and hope will also help you choose wisely."

If you are interested to read the whole article in your own time, here is the link below.
www.lds.org/ensign/2013/01/faith-hope-and-relationships

My next post will be shared sometime on this Friday and it will be about Courageous Parenting. I hope you will have stay safe and take care of yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment