Tuesday, September 11, 2018

How do we "look up?"

This post is based on an article from January 2012 Ensign's issue and it is called, "Look Up by Elder Carl B. Cook." I definitely enjoyed reading the article, and I would like to share with you some highlights that I loved during reading the article. I hope you will learn something new this day or this evening as you read this post.
"Try not to look sideways to see how others are viewing our lives but to look up to see how Heavenly Father sees us. - Elder Carl B. Cook."
He was sharing one of his experiences as a young Missionary; He noticed that the others in his district were progressing much faster than he was. Long story short, "I began to plead with Heavenly Father for some relief. The Lord answered that prayer. I felt this thought come into my mind: “I never called you to master the German language. I just called you to serve with all of your heart, mind, and strength.”

I immediately thought, “I can do that. I can serve with all of my heart, mind, and strength. If that’s what the Lord has called me to do, I can do that.” I stood up feeling tremendously relieved.

Instead, I focused on how the Lord felt I was doing. Instead of looking to the side to compare myself to others, I began to look up, so to speak, to know what He thought of my efforts."

How do we “look up”? He shared a description for each principle that can help. I will share with you what they are, but not the description.

- Tap into Spiritual Power
- Stay True to the Direction You Receive
- Don’t Be Afraid to Act
- Stand by Your Post
- Look Heavenward

I will share with you what President Thomas S. Monson said at the end.

“Looking heavenward should be our lifelong endeavor. Some foolish persons turn their backs on the wisdom of God and follow the allurement of fickle fashion, the attraction of false popularity, and the thrill of the moment. Their course of conduct resembles the disastrous experience of Esau, who exchanged his birthright for a mess of pottage.

“And what are the results of such action? I testify to you today that turning away from God brings broken covenants, shattered dreams, and crushed hopes. Such a quagmire of quicksand I plead with you to avoid. You are of a noble birthright. Eternal life in the kingdom of our Father is your goal.

“Such a goal is not achieved in one glorious attempt, but rather is the result of a lifetime of righteousness, an accumulation of wise choices, even a constancy of purpose and lofty ideals.

“Amidst the confusion of our age, the conflicts of conscience, and the turmoil of daily living, an abiding faith becomes an anchor to our lives.”

I would like to encourage you to read the whole article in your own time. I would also like to encourage you to share with a friend or a relative with this post or the article in your own time. Here is the link. www.lds.org/ensign/2012/01/look-up

That is all from me for now, I should be posting some time tomorrow at Pacific Daylight time zone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment